Links

Saturday, March 28, 2015

Saturday Morning Grumblings

"Hot" Rod Hundley
Here I sit once again in a quiet household, I'm the first one to recover from a losing battle with that dreaded Sandman once again and I'm up early collecting my thoughts for the day and surfing the internet. I'm not sure what is playing on TV as I'm honestly not even paying attention.

The West Virginia University community lost one of our all time great legend athletes yesterday. Before there was Jerry West, there was "Hot" Rod Hundley. The basketball star that my father would tell endless stories about as being the clown prince of basketball. He was the first pick in the NBA draft when he was done with college if that tells you how highly he was regarded. but would do some of the craziest antics on the floor.

I remember my Dad telling me once they were playing a game and Hot Rod stole the ball and went in for a layup. Hot Rod immediately went to the concession stand and grabbed a hot dog and a soda and sat down beside the Athletic Director and asked him how he liked the game, all while he was in the game.

Dad would go on and on about this man, but he said when he was serious and wanted to play, he was the best player in the country, hence why his number along with Jerry Wests are the only two retired numbers from WVU Basketball.

I wish I could have seen him play, I know he gave my Dad numerous memories.

RIP "Hot" Rod.

No comments: