Links

Thursday, February 24, 2022

Photo Flashback Thursday

Once a week I like to take a little bit of time out, time to look at some of the 30,000+ photos that I have stored on my computer. Little lost moments in time that I either captured with a lens, scanned, or just stole from someplace on the internet. I like to find just one and post it up and recall or relive the picture to the best of my ability. Sometimes this is a pretty easy task and sometimes it's not that easy, one thing it has always been a whole lot of fun.

For this weeks post, let's go back to my Helmick days when I did it all in the melting room. From pouring molten metal (Ladles in front), to operating and melting as much as 4400 lbs of metal at a time (Machine to left) to leading this small group of a well-organized group that would roughly load, melt and pour roughly 8 tons of metal a day.

We melted three types of metals, Cast Iron, NiHard which we were the original proprietors of and pure chrome or a 20% and 28% Hi-Chrome alloy iron. I used to say I've poured more NiHard metal than anyone on earth as it was a metal that Helmick and invented before others started using it in producing what were once our products. 

I think Helmick's business interests have changed through the years, this is our old product line and now I think they do metal roofing. They are the oldest manufacturing operation in the state of West Virginia as they used to produce canonballs during the Civil War. This was 6 years of my life. 

Have a great day

Hi ho hi ho

No comments: