Links

Tuesday, October 18, 2022

1 Year, 365 Days, 525,600 minutes

Where do I even begin? I have always enjoyed a glass of wine, a bottle of beer, or a mixed drink. In November of 2020 when I lost my dad so unexpectedly my drinking got worse, then in April 2021 I lost my grandma. And tack on several more family deaths and the drinking got out of hand.

I tried hiding this from everyone in my life, and with Ed traveling for work and being gone several nights a week it was very easy for me to drink myself blackout stupid. I finally decided that I needed help after thinking that I had 15 cats in my bedroom and seeing my late husband in the hallway one night. 

I finally hit rock bottom I talked to my sister Dani and told her that I had a problem and I needed help in the worst way, she made a call to Ed and I think he was really shocked that my drinking was that far gone. I knew it was time to get my life together. My wonderful Niece got me a bed in rehab, so I checked myself into the hospital to begin the detox process, then to rehab in Pennsylvania I went. 

I really don't remember a lot about that week except getting to smoke a cigarette every couple of hours, drinking coffee, and sleeping. I came home feeling good and knew that the hard work was just beginning, meeting after meeting I went to and learned so much that has kept me sober for the last year.

 Even after dealing with my mom's traumatic brain injury back in February and moving her to a nursing home here in Morgantown and my stepdad moved to a nursing home in Rochester Pa, I am still going strong with my recovery and taking it one day at a time. 

Huge thank you to my very supportive hubby and all our family members that have been my cheerleaders all along. I love you all and hope you know how much you mean to me.

3 comments:

George Hall said...

So Proud of you Sweetie.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Michelle!!! ❤️

Anonymous said...

Thank you