Links

Thursday, December 05, 2013

Photo Flashback Thursday



Once a week I like to take a little bit of time out and look through all my pictures. Pictures I have storied on my computer or on Facebook that I like to look through through and recall the  where and when or what about that lost moment in time. I like to select one of those frozen moments of time and post it on my blog and tell a little story about it. Sometime it's real easy to find the right picture and sometimes it's not that easy. I do have to say though it is always a whole lot of fun.

This weeks pic goes back to the days of summers gone by, about 39 and soon to be 40 of them if you must know. A time when the Pittsburgh Pirates still had hope of me being their future second basemen and when Summers were much simpler.

It was the Summer of 1974 and our coach and a few of our players were making some trend setting fashion statements with their choices of lower half attire, since we all had to have similar shirts and hats.

This was a time BEFORE I had hair, back when I was originally bald all the time only this time it was by choice (but not mine) rather than being follicly challenged as I am presented today. Back when my bike had one gear and I had spent the previous winter laying around in a body cast due to a broken leg the previous fall.

This was the 1974 Citizens B team, the greatest Little League Baseball team ever assembled. Of course the numbers on the scoreboard behind us pretty much reflect our win total for that season but alas, we were headed up by the legendary coach Danny Murtaugh. Since he was busy with coaching that other team, we were stuck with Fred Powell of the infamous "Let Fred Smoke" Facebook page to lead us to an un-undefeated season where we wreaked havoc and actually threatened the other team with our comical shenanigans that we referred to as baseball. I did have a very rare unassisted triple play one game asd I was playing second base and caught a line drive up the middle (one out) stepped on second base to get the runner than was there (two outs) and turned around and instead of throwing it to our first baseman who couldn't catch, I ran the runner down coming from first to tag him for the third out. All by myself and all un-assisted triple play. The Pirates talked about calling me up to the Majors at that point, but I opted to stay fourth grade.

Hi ho hi ho

No comments: