Links

Thursday, April 21, 2016

Photo Flashback Thursday




Once a week I like to take a little bit of time out and look through all of the pictures that I have either taken, scanned or stolen off of the internet through the years. Little lost moments in time that were captures and stored for us all to share at a later time. It's one of my favorite blog posts of the week and I love looking through my pictures. Sometimes it is pretty easy to find that one magical moment to share and sometimes you do struggle to find one. One thing is always certain, it's always a whole lot of fun.

This weeks picture goes back to my Helmick Days (1991-97) when I used to work as a Metal Pourer / Electromelt Operator in a for a foundry that was also the oldest manufacturing operation in the state of West Virginia. That foundry is now idle and no longer runs, I poured the last ladle of metal there in 1997 and can probably make the claim that I poured more NiHard than anyone in the country at that time as Helmick was one of their primary metals that we poured.

The picture above was from probably 1997, they had made the decision to shut the foundry down and we were in the process of closing the doors on that part of the business. The picture is one if the melting room that I ran. You can see my jacket I used to wear, the ladles (front one was for NiHard and the back one was for Chrome) that I poured out of. The big yellow thing is the crane we used to load the furnace which is in the center of the picture. The lid id swung open and to the left as there was no batch in the furnace at this time. This was probably a day where I made repairs and set up the next days production (it was down to a one man operation from a 3 man operation).

Life has changed significantly for me both personally and professionally. When we finally closed the doors I had no idea where my life would lead me, but obviously there were much better things ahead for me. This was just a six year snapshot of my life where I worked as many as 82 hours in a week (yes one week, 6 12's and a 10).

Have yourselves a great day

Hi ho hi ho

No comments: