Links

Monday, March 24, 2008

I just got some very bad news.

Over the past few months, the workload at work has been very slow, to the point where I was worrying about it and starting to wonder if I would have a job. Infotech has been growing at an exponential rate, but it has been getting away from GIS type work and leaning more towards the photogrammatry type of work. My area of expertise is in the GIS aspect of it all, not the photogrammetric.

This morning the news I did not want to hear came through. April 4, 2008 will be my last day with Infotech, I am being laid off. I even asked if my presence in Sterling would make a difference, but our backlog of work even for that office has diminished to the point that the only thing we are doing on shore is project management, and we have plenty of project managers. I even inquired about a reduction of pay, but it was not a performance issue, I was told I was probably the most diligent employee they have had and they would assist me in finding other employment.

What does this mean to me? Well first of all goodbye to working from home. I was given a unique opportunity and it may be next to impossible to find this situation again. So obviously I am going to have to start looking for work outside of my home. It could also very well mean a goodbye to Morgantown and a goodbye to West Virginia. I hate to imagine this, but this could be my reality in a very short period of time. This is a place that I have grown up in and loved, and the thought of me leaving is horrible, but life just tossed me a curveball and I have to accept it.

To say I am a little worried and not confident right now is an understatement.

No comments: