Links

Thursday, May 28, 2020

Photo Flashback Thursday



Once a week I like to take a little bit of time out, time to look at some of the 30,000+ images that I have either captured with a Camera, Scanned or just simply stolen off the internet. Little lost moments in time that I post up and relive tight here for everyone while I try to recall the moments around that image. Sometimes it's pretty easy to find that image and sometimes it's a challenge, although one thing it always is is a whole lot of fun for me.

This is basically where it all began for me, even though it would go into hiatus for about a decade, but Dad and Jean bought us a Computer one Christmas, I'm thinking it was Christmas 1982. That little white thing with the keyboard, that was the computer. I think it came with 2 kilobytes of memory and there was an expansion pack of another 15 kilobytes (not Megabytes, kilobytes). So we had about 17,000 bytes to play with on that thing. As a point of reference, the above picture is 262,144 bytes, or basically 15 1/2 times the capacity of that little Tandy Computer. I'm thinking it was a Tandy TDP-100 or a TRS-80, it was one of their low end computers.

There was no where to store any coding you did and everything was written in BASIC and get this, you actually had to program every single keystroke. I used to buy books that had the programs already written, you just had to input everything into the computer to get it to run. Some real complex programs that is actually pretty comical and very archaic to even look at today. Sad thing was, once you turned the computer off, the program was wiped from the memory. If you wanted to run it again, you were reprogramming it.

We had it hooked up to a little 13" TV Gary and I had in the bedroom and it might have even been black and white.

>We would type in our games we wanted to play (simple ones at that) and execute them. I actually hears a friend of mines parents ask their son why he only programs games and not other things. He handed the book to his Dad who was pretty electronically savvy and told him to program any game he wanted. He quickly learned that one bad keystroke and the entire program would either crash or not run. You quickly taught yourself BASIC and how to construct a program.

We have came along way since those days. There I was however, looking at the both the worlds and my own future.


I leave you with a little bit of a tidbit of information, hopefully this will enlighten your day a little. The following picture is a historical picture, it was sent in an e-mail in 1992. What is the significance of it? It was the first picture ever transmitted over the internet.

Now take that little tidbit of enlightening information and have yourselves a great day. Make a difference in this world, like I just did by enlightening you.

No comments: