Links

Friday, February 11, 2005

A different operating system

Thanks to a co-worker named Jesse, I got a little bit of a computer education yesterday. I learned how to extract an .iso file and how to be able to burn it to a bootable CD. I had always used the burning software that came with my Iomega CD burner. I quickly learned that it is nothing short of some bare minimum burning software. I now have NERO and have seen that my capabilities have been extremely limited first hand. Talk about some powerful burning software, I give Nero a double thumbs up for software to have on your computer if you have a CD burner.

Anyways, my OS experience has been limited to Windows Operating systems and Unix for about a year at work. Jesse is one yet another programmer that I know that just doesn't like Microsoft products. At work and at home he has his computer set up to dual boot either Windows or Linux.

I kind of had a curiosity of learning about Linux, and he proceeded to tell me that it can be booted from a CD using Knoppix. I actually made a bootable knoppix CD yesterday and came home and ran Linux on my computer for the evening. I had a lot of fun playing with it and seen some great advantages that it offers. For example if your windows system would crash, you could put in knoppix and retrieve any important files before you would be forced to do a system recovery.

I'm exploring the possiblity of purchasing a third hard drive and exclusively running Linux as my OS for that drive to give me the full capabilities of the system. Until then, I think I'm going to enjoy playing with knoppix.

No comments: