Links

Saturday, April 27, 2013

New Computer

I like Linux, it is working in a pinch and allows me to do almost anything I want on a computer. Surf the net, set up and access a network from home, and just generally about anything I need to do. I've been using Linux for a number of years sporadically, and I have to say that it has gotten much better over the years. The latest version of Ubuntu really is almost like a modern version of Windows 8 minus the Metro.

That being said, I've also did a little bit of research the past few days looking for what I wanted in a new computer. I use Windows XP and Windows 7 at work (I run three computers on dual monitors with one heck of a KVM switch), I have a 7 Laptop here that I use when I'm not at my desktop and I have my PC that I bought in I think 2006 or so.

It was getting a little outdated and Microsoft is going to stop supporting XP on April 8, 2014, meaning no new patches or anything and you will not be able to get support for it. In my opinion it has been their longest running (since 2002) and most stable operating system, but its life cycle is coming to an end in less than a year.

So I had some choices to make, upgrade or get used to Linux as my day to day operating system or buy a new upgraded system with a newer operating system. I chose to buy a new system and went and ordered it yesterday from Dell.

I had to do a little research on whether I preferred Windows 7 or Windows 8. I'm familiar with Windows 7 and I have played around with Windows 8, but something tells me that Windows 8 will go the way of Vista and is not receiving a warm reception. I stopped by two computer stores in Morgantown to talk to a few salesmen and got pretty much the same response. One said they were selling 5 - 6 computers a day before Windows 8 came out, now they are lucky to sell 5 a week and he said some of those are even coming back. It's an OK operating system, but there is a bit of a learning curve, that's why people are hesitant with it. I think it will catch on eventually, but it's not for me right now and I chose a Windows 7 Operating System.

My new system should be here May 10 and I'm going to set it up to run dual monitors for here. It's what I run at work, and it's just a huge advantage to having two monitors running. It's a much better processor and 8 Gigs of Ram it's only a Terrabyte Hard drive, but I run everything off an external drive.

My old PC has already been promised to someone else who is really in need of it for business purposes, I discussed with them that there are probably bad sectors in the Hard Drive (hence why I can't load Windows) and a new Hard Drive for less than $100.00. It's still a solid system, but it was just time for me to upgrade my system.

Have a great day.

No comments: