Links

Saturday, February 16, 2008

Playing with Linux

I have decided this morning to shut down Windows for the day and spend a little time getting used to Ubuntu Linux. This is a free operating system that i installed a few weeks ago as part of a dual boot system.

It's much different than windows and installing new software that is not part of Ubuntu has to be done from a command line in a terminal. I installed a couple GNU license GIS programs a few weeks ago and then managed to install Linux's version of bittorrent called Azureus.

It is going to take a little getting used to and it is definitely not for the beginner. You have to either know how to program or how do do specific code searches on google and know how to use a terminal window.

If anyone wants to try Ubuntu though, it will boot from a Live CD first and you can install it from the Live CD.

A couple years ago I started playing with Live CD's and Knoppix while I was working at the NRAC a few years back. I had played with it here and there a little, then when my computer went kaput earlier this year, I decided to install the dual boot system.

I have come to learn that there are multiple live CD's out there. I may be trying a few others of these in the coming months on Live CD's. I'll update if I try any of these now Live CD operating systems.

No comments: