Links

Wednesday, July 22, 2026

Lucy's Journal


July 22, 2026 – Operation: Dave & Buster's

Dear Journal,

I should have known today was going to be interesting when I woke up and found Kiwi wearing a tiny baseball cap and carrying a hand-drawn map.

"Today," he announced from the coffee table, "we embark on our greatest mission yet!"

Peanut opened one eye.

"You said that before we stole popcorn from Rural King."

"And history remembers us favorably," Kiwi replied.

The Quackers marched in formation across the living room floor.

"Quack! Quack!"

Lucy Translation Services™ believes they were saying, "Proceed with the mission."

Just then, Gracie came bouncing into the yard, her tail wagging at approximately 300 miles per hour. Floating quietly behind her was the Ghost of Maybelline, looking amused already.

"What's today's adventure?" Gracie asked.

Kiwi dramatically unfolded his map.

"We are going to Dave & Buster's."

Peanut sat upright immediately.

"The place with unlimited flashing lights and games?"

"The very same."

"Excellent."

Maybelline floated a few inches off the ground and sighed.

"I can already tell this is going to end with someone getting chased by security."


After piling into our imaginary adventure wagon, we arrived at Dave & Buster's.

There was only one problem.

It wasn't open yet.

The doors were locked.

Kiwi stared through the glass.

"No! We've arrived before business hours!"

Gracie pressed her nose against the window.

"I can see Skee-Ball!"

Peanut climbed onto a nearby bench for a better view.

"I also see claw machines. This changes everything."

The Quackers had become fascinated by their reflections in the glass and were having a spirited conversation with themselves.

Maybelline floated through the front doors and came back a moment later.

"I have good news and bad news."

"What's the good news?" I asked.

"There are approximately one million games inside."

"And the bad news?"

"They're still closed."


Naturally, Kiwi proposed a plan.

"I call this Operation: Totally Not Breaking In."

"That name is not reassuring," Peanut said.

The plan consisted of:

  1. Looking extra cute.
  2. Seeing if the doors magically opened.
  3. Looking even cuter.
  4. Sending Gracie to wag at maximum capacity.
  5. Having Maybelline report back as our ghostly scout.

Surprisingly, Step 1 worked about as well as Step 2.

Not at all.

So Maybelline floated inside to investigate.

She returned with a detailed report.

"There are racing games, basketball hoops, air hockey tables, and a giant claw machine."

Peanut gasped.

"A giant claw machine?!"

"Also," Maybelline continued, "there's a game where you roll balls up a ramp."

"Skee-Ball!" shouted Gracie.

"I was getting to that."


At this point, Kiwi climbed onto my back and attempted to peer through the windows.

"I've always wanted to play Pac-Man."

Peanut nodded.

"I would dominate Whack-a-Mole."

The Quackers immediately volunteered for a duck-themed racing game they hadn't actually seen.

Gracie wanted to play literally everything.

As for me?

I just wanted one of those giant pretzels.

Eventually, Kiwi spotted an employee inside vacuuming.

"This is our chance!"

Before anyone could stop him, he flew up to the window and tapped politely.

The employee looked up.

Kiwi waved.

The employee waved back.

Kiwi pointed at the games.

The employee pointed at his watch and shrugged.

Kiwi returned to us looking defeated.

"He says they open in two hours."

"Devastating," Peanut said dramatically.


With time to spare, we held an official meeting to determine which games everyone wanted to play.

Kiwi:

  • Pac-Man
  • Air Hockey
  • Anything involving tickets

Peanut:

  • Claw Machines
  • Whack-a-Mole
  • Skee-Ball (for prestige)

Lucy (me):

  • Giant Pretzel Consumption
  • Basketball Games
  • More Pretzel Consumption

Gracie:

  • EVERYTHING.

The Quackers:

  • The racing games.
  • Also, somehow, pinball.

Maybelline:

  • "I'm a ghost. I can't physically touch anything."
  • Secretly admitted she wanted to play Dance Dance Revolution.

"I knew it!" shouted Kiwi.

"I said no such thing."

"You absolutely did."


As the morning passed, we sat outside watching the doors and planning our strategy.

Gracie practiced her victory dance.

Peanut sharpened her claw machine skills by attempting to retrieve leaves from a nearby bush.

The Quackers raced each other across the sidewalk.

Kiwi gave an inspirational speech.

"Today, my friends, we stand on the precipice of greatness!"

"We're standing in a parking lot," Peanut corrected.

"Metaphorically!"

Maybelline floated above us, smiling.

"You know, one day you'll all realize the real prize isn't the tickets."

"What is it?" I asked.

"The friends you spent the day with."

There was a moment of silence.

Then Kiwi raised a wing.

"Counterpoint: Giant stuffed banana."

Honestly, he had a point.

Until next week,

Lucy

P.S. We never did make it inside.

P.P.S. Kiwi is already planning "Operation Giant Stuffed Banana" for next Wednesday.

P.P.P.S. I'm bringing extra quarters.

No comments: