Links

Thursday, August 16, 2007

30 Years ago today

Every once in a while, there is a date that we place in our minds that we will never forget. A date that has some kind of major significance and one you will always use as a reference point.

Thirty years ago today at roughly 3:00 in the afternoon I was in the backyard playing baseball. It was something I loved to do and did it on a daily basis as any other day.

I was living with my grandmother at the time as she was still alive. She opened the back door and came out on our back porch to tell me something she had just heard on the TV as a special announcement. Back in those days we didn't have the luxury of having 300 channels, we had about 13. You had the basic channels 2-13 and either HBO or Showtime, depending on what year it was. So when the networks broke in with a story, everyone heard it.

The announcement, Elvis had died. The legendary king of Rock and Roll Elvis Presley was found dead in his Graceland mansion. It became a date that I never forgot and helped me to remember other events on this date.

Ten years ago, Jackie and I went on our first date.

No comments: