Links

Sunday, March 27, 2005

Thank You Coach Beilein.

Our season ended last night with a 85-93 Overtime loss to the Louisville Cardinals. We gave this great team everything we had including shooting .667 from three point land in hitting a School record and NCAA Tournament record 18 three pointers.

This is the best coached team that I have ever seen in Morgantown. They have far exceeded any expectations that I had for them. We almost went to the Final Four for the first time since we lost the NCAA Championship in 1959. These guys have made me proud to be a Mountaineer fan and Alumni.

A little story about Coach Beilein. I was walking around the coliseum before class last year. I had seen someone whom I used to work with at Sterling Faucet years ago and was talking to him. Out of the Blue, here comes this guy who puts his hand on my shoulder and gives me a little wink and introduces himself. Charlie knows him pretty well but I didn't. He left a strong impression on me as someone who represents the University very well. When I walked away from that conversation I remember saying to myself "I don't know if he'll ever win a National Championship here, but I have a feeling he is going to take us to the Final Four." A little over a year later, he almost did it.

I think we have the best coach in the country here in Morgantown. I'm not saying that in support of the fact that I am a Mountaineer fan, I'm saying it because I think it's a true statement.

Thank You Coach Beilein, your coaching staff and this team for a great season. You allowed every Mountaineer to see the future of this program. I think when it is all said and done, the John Beilein era may be the best era to be a Mountaineer fan. Once again thank you. I will be there for the third straight week when this team returns for a hero's welcome these guys deserve it.

No comments: