Links

Saturday, July 28, 2007

RIP Bones

As any of you know me, I am a big softball advocate. I have been playing since the early 80's and it has been something that I have loved dearly. From my original team the "Fun Quads" to the Press Box to the team I played the majority of the 80's with "Sterling Faucet", I have met quite a few unique people.

Twice in my career I have been part I have managed to be a part of a softball rarity. I consider myself very lucky to have taken part (on the winning side) of not one but two no hitters. One being in the 90's with my long time battery mate who I will be competing against Monday night and the first was with a pitcher I was battery mates with at Sterling Faucet.

This morning I picked up the obituaries and my heart dropped when I read the obituary of Richard C. "Bones as we used to call him" Varner. I was Rich's catcher for about six years and played on some very good teams with him.

Bones was one of the best pitchers I ever worked with, even until this day, and I have worked with some very good ones.

I have a game on Sunday and a game on Monday, I have to do something to honor Rich with every at bat.

RIP Bones

No comments: