Links

Saturday, January 08, 2005

Very disturbing and sad news.

Every once in a while you watch or read the news and hear or see a tragedy. On December 21, 2004 there was a news story where a man shot his estranged wife about a mile from where I live, then drove off and committed suicide on Interstate 79. Of course I glanced at the article and thought it was very tragic.

The Next day the Dominion Post ran a followup to this tragic story. I saw the name, I saw the picture, but on the surface it appeared to be just a tragic incident. The Following Day they ran a piece about the crime, but it was Christmas Eve and I didn't really notice anything that set of any bells or buzzers in my head. They also ran an article about Jonathan Hyland, the estranged husband that actually shot Valerie. The Day after Christmas the Dominion Post ran another Followup on the victoms condition.

Pan ahead to this past Tuesday night and I was chatting online with Jane and she asked me if I had heard about the girl up by my dad's house that had been shot. Obviously this didn't ring a bell so she told me her name. Valerie. As soon as she said her name I had a sinking feeling.

The name Valerie Reed didn't ring a bell, but I started to look back through the articles I saw some very disturbing similarities to a someone I knew named Valerie O'Dell. Valerie O'Dell was maried to Jason O'Dell, and when she grew up they lived in her mom's house across the street from my dad's. Jason was always over at our house and my dad thought the world of him. It was at this time that I actually got to know Valerie.

They moved away over to Van Voorhis Rd where we continued to stay in contact. They would stop in the store to talk to me just to pass time. I would see her all over campus and we would always spend a good bit of time catching up on what was happening in each others life. We both attended WVU together, she started about a year after me and was a Buisness major, who quite impressively was a 4.0 student. I was really impressed with her because she managed to do this while managing a family and holding down a full time job as well as being a 4.0 full time student.

The last time I talked to her in any great detail was a year ago. We spent an hour and a half BSing in between classes early in the Semester. I don't recall her telling me that her and Jason were divorcing or were divorced. I saw her a coupe times throughout the semester, we had a similar class but different sections, so we discussed that back and forth in passing.

Scan back ahead to this week and talking to Jane made me wonder if this shooting victom and the Valerie that I knew were the same person. I called Jean and asked her if she had heard anything.

In the Meantime the Dominion Post had run yet another Followup to the stories, and I start to once again see numerous similarities, but nothing was confirmed. I had her e-mail written down somewhere and was going to send a "Hi, How you doing" e-mail just to hope I would get a return e-mail and everything saying everything was fine.

This morning I got a phone call from Jean. Apparantly Valerie and Jason have gotten a divorce in the past 12 months and Valerie remarried. The shooting victom was the Valerie that I know.

Her and Jason had attended my dad's last Christmas and my Dad's last cookout before he passed away. I read the last article about how she was shot in the temple and is blind in the right eye and can barely see out of the left. My stomach dropped. Here's a girl that could be an inspiration to many over how to successfully managing a career, Family and excelling in college.

My Reed family is in my thoughts as well as the O'Dells. I'm hoping that she pulls through this, because I know what she is capable of.

There is a benefit dance for Valerie Reed Hyland Fund will be held from 7 p.m.-midnight Feb. 26 at the Cheat Lake Fire Hall. Music will be by Higherground. Cost is $10 per person. Call 292-4644 for information.

Hurry back Val, I'm sure what you do from here on out will be very inspriational.

No comments: