Links

Wednesday, November 14, 2018

Happy GIS Day

Today is a day that my profession sets aside to celebrate well, us and what we do. It is GIS Day and a day that one of these years I need to organize something locally.

GIS is stands for Geographical Informational Systems (or Science) and is a discipline that was invented by a man named Jack Dangermond when he started his company ESRI. I had the opportunity to not only hear him speak a couple years ago at the Federal Users Conference (which I have put in to return to in 2019 as well as going to the Mecca of GIS San Diego for 2019), but I happen to meet him one morning in front of the convention center in Washington DC. It was my honor to meet the innovator and inventor of a profession I have chosen to follow. I got to speak to him one on one for a few minutes, very down to earth guy for a multi-billionaire.

When I decided to go back to school years ago I had no idea what I wanted to do, that is until I saw the potential in this thing called GIS. Geospatially enabled databases and datasets that you can perform analysis on was just totally mind blowing to me. A friend of mine was majoring in it (ironic I'm the one who followed it through and work in it) and introduced me to the discipline. I saw a future, one that I had never known before working in the cut throat world of steel manufacturing and I went with it.

Best career decision I have ever made, I sold my self to it and committed to it in College and it has allowed me to do and see things that I never knew possible before. I owe a lot to this discipline.

Have yourselves a great day, time for me to go and be creative with ArcGIS.

Hi ho hi ho

No comments: