Links

Friday, November 16, 2007

Most influentual Professor at WVU

Congratulations are in store for probably one of my most influential professors while at WVU. Dr Kenneth Martis welcomed me into the program my Freshman year, and was basically my mentor during my tenure at WVU. He was my adviser when Dr. Elmes was on sabbatical and always had an open door for me regardless of why I would come and see him.

He was also the one who nominated me for the personal interest story among WVU grads for the 2004 Commencement. It went to an 86 year old man, but I was a finalist and it was Dr. Martis who nominated me. Our disciplines are different, I am a GIS guy and he is a political geographer, but our paths crossed numerous times as my advisor, professor, nominator, man of influence and the man who called my name during graduation.

Yesterday, Dr. Martis was named the 2007 WVU Professor of the year by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching and the Council for Advancement and Support of Education (CASE).

Congratulations on the honor Dr Martis. As any one of his former students could tell you, "Water Transportation, is the cheapest form of transportation, ESPECIALLY for large bulk products." This was something very simple that he drilled into our heads. It also was a very helpful piece of information to many other disciplines of geography.

No comments: