Links

Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Some technical stuff

Every once in a while, I guess I should do a little bit of a geeky post to help keep informed on what's new in the world of computers and maybe a few suggestions for everyone to try.

I think my first piece of advice that I could give to anyone is choosing a browser that it the most trouble free and least likely to get tou into any trouble. For any of you who I have not set up your internet account and you are still using Internet Explorer as your browser, I would suggest possibly getting away from browsing using IE and start using Firefox to surf the net with.

Firefox is an open source browser and you can pretty much customize it any way you want with different themes and extensions to fit your surfing needs. I personally use a couple extensions, one is forcastfox and that is a customizable weather station built into your browser.

Another extension that I tried today and actually like is Customize Google. As many of you already know, Google is arguably the best search engine out there on the net. They are at the forefront of internet technology with many of their innovations.

I was talking to Kim, the Queen of the Podcasts yesterday and she told me about a site that I bookmarked and really liked. It's a real estate search engine that ties in with google maps called Zillow that is pretty nice. It is something kind of similar to some things I have seen with some Assessors offices using ArcIMS (Web based GIS), but not to that extreme.

Some more technical stuff for some of you if you either don't have Microsoft Office, don't want to shell out $500 for a full copy of it or don't know anyone who has hacked it (looking away innocently) but would like a software that is just as, if not more powerful. I would suggest Open Office. Like Firefox and most non-microsift related products, it's an open source program (means they publically publish the source code unlike Microsoft) and is free to download and use. Of course if you need a full blown copy of office, I know a guy who has a Website that may help hook you up with a copy.



Let me leave this post with a little humor:


The Procrastinator's Creed:

1. I believe that if anything is worth doing, it would have been done already.

2. I shall never move quickly, except to avoid more work or find excuses.

3. I will never rush into a job without a lifetime of consideration.

4. I shall meet all of my deadlines directly in proportion to the amount of bodily injury I could expect to receive from missing them.

5. I firmly believe that tomorrow holds the possibility for new technologies, astounding discoveries, and a reprieve from my obligations.

6. I truly believe that all deadlines are unreasonable regardless of the amount of time given.

7. I shall never forget that the probability of a miracle, though infinitesmally small, is not exactly zero.

8. If at first I don't succeed, there is always next year.

9. I shall always decide not to decide, unless of course I decide to change my mind.

10. I shall always begin, start, initiate, take the first step, and/or write the first word, when I get around to it.

11. I obey the law of inverse excuses which demands that the greater the task to be done, the more insignificant the work that must be done prior to beginning the greater task.

12. I know that the work cycle is not plan/start/finish, but is wait/plan/plan.

13. I will never put off until tomorrow, what I can forget about forever.

14. I will become a member of the ancient Order of Two-Headed Turtles (the Procrastinator's Society) if they ever get it organized. --Author Unknown

1 comment:

Apartment On Rent said...

Amazing, great article, keep up the good work. I would like to share with you information about the residential project. About Apartment on Rent, This is a residential project in Noida, Uttar Pradesh India.