Links

Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Happy GIS day

Every profession should have a day that is dedicated to them. There is Fireman's Day, Policeman's day, Secretaries Day, Boss's Day and today is GIS day. A day dedicated to those of us who are GIS Professionals. Though a very young field, this is the Tenth GIS Day
since its inception.

When I was in college it was hard for me to explain what GIS was without going over most people's heads. I do however think back when I first started studying GIS and a conversation I had with a friend of mine. I told him I was going to be a geographer and more specifically going into GIS. He asked me what that was and I explained quite simply digital mapping. To this day I still remember his comment "Doesn't Rand McNally already have that covered?" It is a statement that I always look back on, a time before anyone had ever heard of internet mapping, google earth or even feasibly having a GPS unit.

Do yourself a favor today and read up a little bit on my chosen field, Geographical Informational Science.

No comments: