Links

Sunday, February 12, 2006

I can't let the BLOG go stale

Yep, it's me and I'm still alive. It's been six whole days since my last BLOG and I haven't BLOGGED since. My BLOG is getting very close to what I would consider a stale BLOG. That's when someone when the author writes something and doesn't touch it again for weeks if not months. That makes it really boring and people lose interest. I've always wanted to maintain the readers interest so that they would regularly return.

Readers need things to help keep the BLOG moving, they need pictures that help you tell a story, just like this one that I took from my phone last July at the Jimmy Buffet concert in Pittsburgh. They need something that gives the post a visual image to go along with your story so that they can see what you are talking about or get a sense of being where you were at. They need to be able to live the moments that you have lived through not only your words, but also through your eyes.

If you can manage to do that, I think you have managed to touch your readers heart. It's hard to get peoples attention sometimes, oh sure it's easy to get the attention of those we know and love, but for the reader that you have never met? I've met quite a few people over the last year whop claim to read my blog. Some do it to keep in touch with what's going on in life, some because they have met me or some because they have just viewed it once or twice and liked what they read or saw.

My sister Kim opened my eyes up a little more to the importance of BLOGGING just this past week. What she found is a place that takes your BLOG and turns it into a book. Yep, a hardback paper printed book. Pretty neat idea wouldn't you say? You think about it, I've spent a year and a half writing my ideas and thoughts down on the internet. I've done tidbits, I've been a news source, I've done multi media etc etc.

Kim said she is thinking of having her BLOG printed. It may not mean much to us right now, because we read them every day. However, think about down the road went he site or sites that host your blog dump their memory. Years after the authors have left this world and moved on. When the grandchildren and great grandchildren who have yet to be conceived walk this earth. Wouldn't it be nice if they could have something to help them better understand who they are, or where they came from.

We all depend on hearsay of family stories passed on down through the generations, and we know how hard that information is to confirm sometimes. This person says this, and that person says that. Wouldn't;t it be nice if something that I take five or ten minutes to do today, will be provide hours of education and entertainment for the next generations to come down the road?

Kim really hit on something and it is really making me think. What is it that I can do that can help the next generation understand who we were and what we were about. Who was doing what and when, and were there any pictures to go along with the story. My contribution has been this BLOG and my website. I try to take as many pictures as I can and add them to keep my site and BLOG up to date. Maybe someday when all of us who are reading this the day it was written are dead and gone, someone from the next generation will be able to see and read the same things and thoughts that we have experienced today.

Do A BLOG, Keep it active and give the next generations a very valuable gift.

No comments: