Links

Sunday, May 08, 2005

Happy Mothers Day

History

The first Mother's Day proclamation on a state level was issued by the governor of West Virginia in 1910. And by 1911, other states followed. But it took a couple of years still to obtain the Presidential proclamation.

The House of Representatives in May 1913 unanimously adopted a resolution requesting the President, his cabinet, the members of both Houses and all officials of the federal government to wear a white carnation on Mother's Day. On May 7,1914, a resolution providing that the second Sunday in May be designated Mother's Day was introduced by Representative James T. Heflin of Alabama and Senator Morris Sheppard of Texas. It passed both Houses and on May 9 President Woodrow Wilson issued his Mother's Day Proclamation:

"...Now, Therefore, I, Woodrow Wilson, President of the United States of America, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the said Joint Resolution, do hereby direct the government buildings and do invite the people of the United States to display the flag at their homes or other suitable places on the second Sunday in May as a public expression of our love and reverence for the mothers of our country."


Living in West Virginia and driving to Grafton, the home of Anna Jarvis, every Sunday morning brings a special meaning to this day. In my life I have been fortunate to consider three women worthy of this honor.

First, there is my Grandma Hall. A very special person in my life who passed away nearly 25 years ago. Many of my morals and values were bestowed upon me by her. She is missed and I would like to extend a mothers day greeting to her memory.

I have two women alive today that I also bestow that honor upon. My Biological Mother and my step-mother. I have been fortunate to have both of these ladies in my life and they are very much responsible for the molding of who I am and who I will become.

I love them both and thank my lucky stars for each of them.

Happy Mothers Day

No comments: