Links

Wednesday, January 05, 2011

I Am Committed

Yesterday on facebook, I got an encouraging message from someone who was challenging us all to lose 15 pounds by March 31. Her trainer Mike Snader, is getting ready to run a 50 mile race and he is looking for 50 people to commit to losing 15 pounds by March 31. He wants to raise money for a little girl who was diagnosed with a rare childhood cancer called Neuroblastoma.

Her name is Isabella and this is her story. I saw that and I needed to lose a few pounds, so I asked Michelle if she would commit and join me to be one of the sponsors for 50 Miles for Isabella. Mike wants to run 50 miles and have 50 sponsors, one for every mile, to purchase a T-Shirt or make a donation.

I found it to be a heart warming story and I definitely need to lose a few pounds. I posted this on Facebook and my beautiful Niece Val was the first to respond by sending in her application through e-mail. I have to extend a heart felt thank you to her, and three others who have committed to doing this because I posted it on Facebook.

If you are reading this, have a few extra dollars to spend or donate, or even if you don;t and you just want to lose a few pounds. Support someone who is selflessly trying to do something nice for a young little girl.

Mike will be sending e-mails occasionally to assist in losing weight. Allow me to share his email with everyone else who may want to get healthy.




Hi George and Michelle,
 
Below is the first week of healthy tips. Please let me know if you have any questions. Thanks!
 

Hello Everyone,

Thank you again for participating! I know that some people struggle consistently to lose weight, and many don't believe that it's possible to drop the pounds because they have tried so many times. I work in the health and wellness industry and I see it all of the time. I think the biggest problem is that people try to do too much at once. So what I am going to give you are some basic tips each week that we will build on. Remember, it's not drastic changes that will yield the biggest results, but small changes that add up to something great over time. So for all of the participants trying to lose weight, here is your Week 1 Homework Assignment:

-Eat breakfast everyday no matter what. Breakfast is one of the most important meals of the day. Don't worry so much about what it is, we just want to get into the habit of eating breakfast every day. We will add different guidelines as we go, but for now just get it in.

-Eat at least 3 meals per day.  In an ideal world we would eat around 6 meals per day, but that cannot fit into everyone's schedule. So make sure you're getting at least 3 meals.

-Eat a vegetable at each meal. Vegetables are low in calories and provide an abundance of vitamins and minerals. Make sure you have one serving at each meal or use them as a snack.

-Don't let food on your plate touch each other. What does this do? It makes sure that you are having reasonable portions. Foods piled on top of each other are a good indicator that you have too much on your plate.

Go on and say it. Mike what about counting calories? Carbs, fats, protein? Some meal suggestions? Where are the specifics? The truth is that we need to master the basics before we worry about anything else.

There you have it. That's it! Simple yet effective nutrition strategies to help you lose the weight. We will be adding to this list each week so don't be too concerned if it looks too easy. Get these habits down first. As far as an exercise goal this week, let's shoot for 15 minutes of daily physical activity for 4 days this week. Examples include: walking, biking, jogging, hiking, etc. Just get out and do it! Be active and move! Please keep me updated on your progress and if I can help you in any way. Focus on mastering these habits this week and stay tuned for week #2. We will be adding healthy habits. You can lose the weight, you just have to want it bad enough!

-Mike Snader

No comments: