Links

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Happy GIS Day

Today is November 17, 2010 and it is GIS Day for 2010. As many of my readers know I studied GIS in College and have worked as a GIS Analyst for a number of years now. I've worked for the WVU NRAC, VARGIS which later became Infotech, IMCWV which became NISC which became IBM after I left, I have worked for SAIC and finally I am at the best jobn that I ever had with Sextant Technical where ironically I celebrated my one year anniversary yesterday with them.

GIS is a science that was brought to its modern state by Jack Dangermond who founded ESRI a number of years ago. He has helped develop us from the old Arc Info to Arc View to the full blown ArcGIS Desktop that we use today. The man revolutionized the GIS Industry and we should all be thankful for him.

GIS has helped introduce things that maybe today we all take for granted like Google Earth or even your GPS unit you use to navigate your way around. You can thank a GIS Analyst for all of those abilities that I'm sure most people wouldn't know what do do without today.

Happy GIS Day!, Hug a Geographer.

Hi ho hi ho to do Geography I go

No comments: