Links

Monday, June 23, 2008

Bob Gill

Back in 1974, Daredevils were the kings of the media. There was Evel Knievel who was arguably the most noted daredevil in the mid 70's, especially with his rocket car and Snake River Canyon Jump. But Evel did not hold the world record nor was he the first daredevil to ever attempt a Canyon Jump.

Both of these distinctions were held by a man named Bob Gill. He was the first the Jump a Canyon when in 1972 Bob jumped Cajun Canyon on nothing more than a motorcycle and no landing ramp.

Saturday I was driving through Terra Alta with Michelle and we were passing by Appalachia Lake. I told her the brief story of a great daredevil from yesteryear and his attempt to break his own world record with this jump. Bob is a MySpace Friend and I have sent him a few messages over the past year. I went to his site yesterday and saw a documentary on him that had some footage that I have never seen before.

HERE is the documentary, it was quite entertaining and took me back to an innocent time in my own childhood when he and Evel, the fearless motorcycle jumpers of yesterday were my heros.

Bob is planning on possibly returning to jumping later this year when he will take his jet powered Trike and make a jump in Las Vegas. I'll update everyone when I find out anything more or a specific date.

No comments: