Links

Wednesday, January 31, 2007

I was ready for that bullet that missed.

As many of you know last year I decided to re-market myself in the workforce. I wanted to see if I had a needed marketable skill that could find me another job if I had to. After two plant shut downs you tend to prepare for it and be ready for it.

Vargis / Infotech made a unique little offer to me an that was the ability to work from home. I saw this increasing the quality of life and felt it strengthened my position within my company in case something would ever happen and they shut my office down.

I have felt that an announcement was going to come since probably last September for some reason. There was less interest in what was going on at the Frostburg facility and they were not replacing anyone.

Today, the announcement came and they are shutting down my office in Frostburg in March. An office that two years ago I had full intentions of running never came to fruition and they moved me onto jobs where my skills had already been significantly developed.

Of course, having gone through this not once but twice I was secretly preparing and not giving any hints over what I had felt had been developing over the past six months. I was ready for this announcement. The President and COO both made trips to Frostburg today, but no one bothered to officially tell or invite me.

Reason being, they are giving me two options and I receive both official offers tomorrow. One will be to keep working from home, with an increase in salary. The second is to move to Sterling, Virginia to that office with a salary pro-rated for the DC Metropolitan area.

I have not seen either offer yet nor do I know much of the details, however I should receive them in an e-mail either this evening or tomorrow morning. I know about 95% what my decision will be, however it is nice that there is a chance to relocate at a nice salary to a place where the opportunities would be almost limitless.

For the record, my lease expires today and the new 12 month lease I signed a month and a half ago kicks in tomorrow.

I guess this time I dodged the bullet and set myself up for my next set of goals when and if I decide to persue them.

No comments: