Links

Wednesday, March 08, 2006

WOW

I just got what I would consider the ultimate professional compliment. As everyone know's I am a Geographer and my specialty is in a field called GIS. What GIS is is basically manipulatable computer maps, with a huge database on the back end. I have been working in the GIS field for five years now. I'm the lead GIS guy for my company that ironically has GIS in it's name. Part of the reason possibly I was named Employee of the Year for 2005.

In every field, especially in computers and software there are companies that are leaders in the industry. Obviously if you think computers, you think Microsoft. They basically revolutionized the computer operating system and and could honestly be considered the leaders of computer operating systems. I'm sure there are those who will disagree with me, but for the most part it's Microsoft.

In the Field of GIS, the innovators of the discipline is a company called ESRI. They manufacture and developed the software, those produce all kinds of data for anyone to use and they the support, the lifeblood and the very breath of GIS. They are it's heartbeat.

I got an e-mail today from ESRI expressing interest in me to be an ESRI instructor Tysons Corner, Virginia. The ironic part, this is them contacting me and not the other way around. They are inquiring about what it would take for me to relocate.

Talk about the ultimate professional compliment.

No comments: