Links

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Softball has come to a close for 2010

It's the one season that I look forward to all year, when the boys of summer assemble and we take a few months out of our lives and group together with a common purpose, to play the game of softball.

This year has been I believe my 26th or 27th playing the game that I love so much. I came into the game and we were playing with snow fences at BOPARC at 270' for a Home Run and today play at 300' elevated fences, flight resistant core balls and a lot more distinct rules than when I first started playing as a Fun Quad (use your imagination, we never could figure out what a Fun Quad was).

The 2010 season ended last night for me on Whiston Field. There is always fall league, but I'm too old and don't care to play into the month of November when snow is on the ground.

We say Good Bye to Ryne Barrall as he has played his last game with us and has graduated and will be moving back home. I look back at former team mates past and see Josh Judy is less than a month away from AAA Columbus's season being over and him moving up to the Major League Indians. I see former team mates from a few years ago winning regular season titles in two leagues and I see a new crop of players coming around to fall in love with the game.

This season's final notes I have to give a shout out to Paul and Laura Gunter for picking my glove up Monday night after I left it.

We won last night and the season came to an end in the 6th inning with us up 10-9 and playing one of the top ranked teams who were just frustrated. It ended with a bench clearing brawl and where the umpire called the game. What an end to a season.

The game that I love so much is over with for the summer, so the countdown starts to the 2011 season.

No comments: